Random Thoughts on
Love and Fear
(and anything in between)

January 09, 2007

Surge

What's the point? I had a thought that seemed a little harsh, about the planned escalation of troop levels in Iraq. But then I read the Tony Snow, official White House view about people who disagree with sending even more troops into Iraq -
MR. SNOW: Well, look, Democrats are going to have to make a choice here and they're going to have to decide where they stand in terms of two issues: Number one, do you want Iraq to succeed, and, if so, what does that mean? And, number two, do you believe in supporting the troops as you say, and how do you express that support? Those are questions that will be answered in the process of public debate and also -- and a lot of other considerations. So we'll just have to see how it plays out.

See, it's not about whether you think that sending in more troops will actually help bring the war to an end. In the Administration's view, it's simply a question of realizing that the only way to support the troops is to endorse sending more of them into a war, with no clear way to end it. So, maybe it's not too harsh at all, to say that there's only one reason I can think of for this "surge" -

George Bush has been having some doubts, so he wants to make absolutely sure that his place in Hell has been reserved.
When I die I don't want no part of heaven
I would not do heavens work well
I pray the devil comes and takes me
To stand in the fiery furnaces of hell

- "Youngstown", B. Springsteen

No comments: