Random Thoughts on
Love and Fear
(and anything in between)

March 17, 2005

The Mighty Casey

Today starts the Congressional hearings on steroid use in baseball. I think it was Jon Stewart of the Daily Show who asked something like: "Let's see, Halliburton, Abu Ghraib - and they decide to investigate BASEBALL?!!"

Of course, the classic testimony before Congress about baseball came from (who else?) Casey Stengel:
I had many years that I was not so successful as a ballplayer, as it is a game of skill. And then I was no doubt discharged by baseball in which I had to go back to the minor leagues as a manager, and after being in the minor leagues as a manager, I became a major league manager in several cities and was discharged, we call it "discharged," because there is no question I had to leave. And I returned to the minor leagues at Milwaukee, Kansas City, and Oakland, Calif., and then returned to the major leagues.

In the last ten years, naturally, in major league baseball with the New York Yankees, the New York Yankees have had tremendous success and while I am not the ballplayer who does the work, I have no doubt worked for a ball club that is very capable in the office. I must have splendid ownership, I must have very capable men who are in radio and television, which is no doubt you know that we have mentioned the three names — you will say they are very great.

We have a wonderful press that follows us. Anybody should in New York City, where you have so many million people. Our ballclub has been successful because we have it, and we have the Spirit of 1776. We put it into the ball field and if you are not capable of becoming a great ballplayer since I have been in as a manager, in ten years, you are notified that if you don't produce on the ball field, the salary that you receive, we will allow you to be traded to play and give your services to other clubs.
There's more, a lot more, of course. And, when he was finished, he was followed by Mickey Mantle, who could only add: "My views are about the same as Casey's."

No comments: