Random Thoughts on
Love and Fear
(and anything in between)

October 21, 2008

In the American Land

What is this land America so many travel there
I'm going now while I'm still young my darling meet me there
Wish me luck my lovely I'll send for you when I can
And we'll make our home in the American land


- Bruce Springsteen, American Land

Someone has to ask Mayor Rudy Giuliani a question: "Is New York City part of the 'real America'?" This question came to me after watching Jon Stewart's devastating take on last evening's "Daily Show", regarding Governor Palin's statement about what constitutes the "real America", as she put it the other day:

“We believe that the best of America is in these small towns that we get to visit, and in these wonderful little pockets of what I call the real America, being here with all of you hard working very patriotic, um, very, um, pro-America areas of this great nation. This is where we find the kindness and the goodness and the courage of everyday Americans.”

The best part in the piece below was his pointed rebuttal to the assertion that America's cities aren't part of the "real America":

So that means that cities like New York and Washington are the capitals of fake America, the epicenter of fake America, the - what's the word I'm looking for - the "Ground Zero", if you will, of anti-America. I bet bin Laden feels like a real @sshole now. "What? I bombed the wrong America?"


The whole thing:



This leads to my question at the start of this post. Will someone ask Rudy Giuliani if New York is part of the "real America"? Is New York City a place with hard-working, pro-patriotic Americans? Is there kindness and goodness and (especially) courage in New York, also?

Will someone ask Rudy these questions? Gosh, I wish they would.

No comments: