Random Thoughts on
Love and Fear
(and anything in between)

November 03, 2004

Chasing Something in the Night

I confess, I did not stay up late waiting for election returns. I watched the Daily Show's live election special, flipped around the cable news stations, checked the updated count from Ohio's official election returns website, and went to bed. Our alarm went off almost precisely as CBS radio news was reporting that the Bush campaign was claiming that they had an "insurmountable" lead in Ohio. Well, that may be, but I hope that the proper validation and counting of ballots (provisional and otherwise) continues. I can't imagine any legitimate argument against doing that.

Other than that, I guess one of my first thoughts on contemplating a win by the President was: "Dang, I guess we'll have to wait at least another four years before Bruce Springsteen gets one of those 'Kennedy Center Honors' tribute nights."

On a more serious note, while perusing my reading list to the right I saw Bill Cork's reference to Psalm 146, which seems to be something to keep in mind no matter how you feel about the election result:
Put no trust in princes, in mere mortals powerless to save.
When they breathe their last, they return to the earth; that day all their planning comes to nothing.
Happy those whose help is Jacob's God, whose hope is in the LORD, their God,
The maker of heaven and earth, the seas and all that is in them, Who keeps faith forever,
secures justice for the oppressed, gives food to the hungry. The LORD sets prisoners free;
the LORD gives sight to the blind. The LORD raises up those who are bowed down; the LORD loves the righteous.
The LORD protects the stranger, sustains the orphan and the widow, but thwarts the way of the wicked.
Of course, I have my own opinion about who should be the next President, if that were used as a voting guide.

No comments: