Random Thoughts on
Love and Fear
(and anything in between)

November 05, 2008

Listening To Myself

I realized today that I should listen to myself more often. For some reason, I revisited something I'd written here after the last Presidential election.

[T]here are two ways to go. Anybody who wants to wallow in self pity, or carry on with some stereotyping hate-festing, just hurry up and get it over with. Were hatred, and lies, and emphasis on irrelevant issues used to obtain the margin of victory for the President? Of course they were, but that doesn't mean that his opponents should join in a race to the bottom. That's not good for the long-term health of America.

I'm sure it will not be a surprise to anyone that elections are won with votes, votes are cast by voters, and voters are people - the side with the most people wins (okay, so that didn't happen in 2000, but once again Get over it!). People who are unhappy with this year's election should focus on, not joining the tactics which were successful, but beating them. And that, in my humble opinion, means that you don't use hate to fight hate, lies to fight lies, or other irrelevant issues to counter the Karl Roves of the world. Instead, you look out at the upcoming four years and look for ways to point out, to those voters who were swayed by hatred, lies, and irrelevancies, how they can make a better choice.

Seriously, I had forgotten that I wrote that. So, when I wrote a week ago that I was impressed with how Senator Obama "talked about reasons to vote for him, and did not engage in any attacks on (and certainly no distortions of the record of) Senator McCain", and that "he has made the case that he has the right intentions, the right proposals, the right people behind him, and the right message to spread through the United States, and to the rest of the world", that was the same "advice" that four years ago I thought should be followed.

Of course, if I had listened to myself I would have been making that point in a little more timely fashion, such as during the primaries and in the run-up to the election. I could have looked like a punditting genius!

Oh well, at least it did work!

No comments: