Random Thoughts on
Love and Fear
(and anything in between)

November 07, 2008

Michelle, My Belle

As you may have noticed, we have a special place in our heart for Ms. Malkin, the right-wing commentator who always keeps the outrage dial turned to eleven. She had a post yesterday that, well, I just had to comment on. "My President is Black" is one of her usual selective readings from wire service reports and bloggers, to make an argument that the election of Barack Obama is a racially-divisive event.

Of course, it's exactly the opposite. Sure, there are African-American kids saying, with a smile on their faces, "My President is Black". There are also really-really white kids, like my daughter who registered voters in Pennsylvania where she attends college, and my son who is now a teacher in a racially-diverse school in central New Jersey, who are smililng and saying, "My President is Black". There are Hispanic people, Asian people, every-possible-location-and-combination people, who are saying, "My President is Black". There are even rich old white guys (Warren Buffett, anyone?) saying that with a smile.

Why is this the opposite of racial divisiveness? Because if "My President is Black", then we finally know that (a) our President can be ANYBODY, and (b) it really is true, ANYBODY can achieve anything in America. While there was always other evidence for (b), and (a) remained untested, we now have the ultimate argument to counter anybody, anywhere who thinks otherwise. Or, as a certain recently-elected President of the United States put it on Tuesday night -

If there is anyone out there who still doubts that America is a place where all things are possible, who still wonders if the dream of our founders is alive in our time, who still questions the power of our democracy, tonight is your answer.

There's a diary on DailyKos with some pictures from an election night rally, and this says everything I just said, but better -



So, to sum up, this week there is no better way I can think of, to unify people of diverse backgrounds, than to smile at one another and say, "Hey, our President is Black".

And, just for fun, this is another picture from earlier this week, that I think helps carry the message that there can be no more of the old barriers between people, if everyone reaches out -

No comments: